Thursday, September 11, 2008

From Barbara Suber

Dear Arkansas Chapter Members:

I now have the arrangements for Bromo's services along with some pictures and other information I want to share with everyone today.

Services: 10:00 AM in the Sisco Funeral Chapel, 705 W. Meadow Ave., Springdale, Ar. (479-751-4577)

Cards: 2021 N. Ball Ave., Fayetteville, AR 72703

Memorials: Springdale Kiwanis Foundation

(The complete obituary will be published in the Fayetteville paper tomorrow.)


I don't know about all of you, but I am already missing him! The last message I received from him was sent last Thursday morning, August 7 at 8:30 and since I was in St. Louis, I actually didn't open it until Monday morning. I never got a chance to respond to it because I then immediately opened the message from Fredia at the Fayetteville Housing Authority telling me about his condition. This morning I received a copy of that same message he had sent me from Jim Coleman and after reading Jim's comments I decided to share it with everyone because it is so typically Bromo and so appropriate for him to have another good laugh before he entered those pearly gates.

Today, It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't already calling the "angel hogs" and telling"dumb blonde jokes" and "blonde thingies" and catching up on all the NAHRO and housing news with his good friend FOY Howard.

Someone should put together a collection of jokes and memories of stories that Bromo has shared throughout his life because it would bring laughter to all of our lives. My favorite story was about the time he and his family were stranded on the East coast in a snowstorm and they had to spend the night in a makeshift shelter. I would love to have a recording of him telling it again so that I could play it whenever I needed a good laugh or pick-me-up. It was the most hilarious thing I have ever heard. I bet each of you have a favorite memory or story also.

The last time I talked to him was before the Spring conference and I begged him to come and surprise everyone in Fort Smith and give out the door prizes but he said he wouldn't be able to this time but would promise to come to Eureka Springs next year. Since he retired in 2003 I have often referred to him as my "retarded, I mean retired friend." I think Tom Oliver, our Southwest Service Officer said it best: "He brought us much joy and laughter, and would rather be recalled with a smile than with tears."


Thanks Bromo for all the Memories!

Hope you enjoy his last message below and the attached pictures. The first 3 are from Fayetteville Archives in 1988 & 89 and the last 8 were taken at his retirement reception in Siloam Springs, June 2003.

Barbara SuberPresidentArkansas Chapter NAHRO

No comments: